Tuesday, October 14, 2008

aliens

Sorry about the quick post yesterday, I had so much to say and so little time.
I wanted to tell you all about our trip to the immigration office last week. We had to go and get our visas put into our passports. It dawned on us while we were there, that we were now the immigrants. R.T. is the one who is a foreign medical grad. We are the ones with an accent. This is a strange feeling.
The day we arrived in AU. Abbie told us that she thought that she already had an accent. We told her that she really did have an accent; but the way that she said her words had not changed in 24 hours.
I was checking out at the grocery store and I was asking if something was "cheaper" and they looked at me strangely. I then phrased my words differently and we communicated just fine.
R.T. went to type up his c/section report yesterday (no there is no dictaphone) and he found that he wrote many of his words wrong. (ie esophagus is spelled with an oesophagus. So instead of doing a TEE they do TOES)
Everything is good though. We are getting used to the new ways and words. I am afraid that we will be foreigners this whole year. There is nothing that we can do about it. :-) It will be good to be home and blend in a little bit more :-)

1 comment:

John said...

I can relate... communication barriers are awful. I said that I wanted my water turned on. They heard "I'm a rich american. Please take advantage of me. I will pay you and you don't even have to come to my house or fix my problems."