I really struggle with going to the grocery store here. It has never been a job that brings joy to my life no matter what my location, but it seems like living in a different country adds to the stress of getting the right ingredients for the right recipe.
Take for instance.....yogurt is not exactly sweet, what they call bacon is what we call ham (I have found streaky bacon in one store- it is a bit tougher and doesn' quite have the same cure that we are used to), lunch meat does not suit my palate and is quite pricey (3.50 for about 8 pieces), chocolate (you have heard enough about that already), mayo is just plain nasty, cheese is all white and they don't have monterrey jack (though they do have yummy feta), ice cream in the carton has a different taste, etc etc.
I was in the store earlier this week and I was NOT enjoying the experience ( I once again stood in front of the lunch meat for about 5 minutes hoping that a new cheap brand had been invented.) On this particular shopping trip I wanted to buy sliced almonds. I was making almond crusted chicken cutlets (foodnetwork.com). the recipe called for sliced almonds that you put in the blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I do not have either appliances. I was going to do the cave man way and use a plastic bag and a hammer. ....O.K. for the blessing....as I was reaching out to get a bag of sliced almonds, I saw "almond meal". The only ingredient was almonds and it had the texture of flour. HOW PERFECT!! I knew that this could only be a blessing from God. He made my dreaded trip into a worship experience.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LOL... That is great. Isn't God good to give us ways to worship Him in all things, just as he tells us in the Bible. We can't wait for you to get home so we can cook you all the things you have been missing!
Post a Comment